Friday, March 12, 2010

A week made sweeter with crepes

I have been dreaming of one of an ipod tpouch for some time now. When I finally broke down and purchased one, I felt as if I needed to cut out some other part of my budget inorder to compensate for the rather extravagant purchase. So I did, and I saved money, ate better, drank less and spent more time at home. I decided that I would cut out eating at resteraunts for a week to offset the needless electronic purchase.

I was forced to cook for myself and J. It is all too easy for us to come home tired and a little hungry, looking for comfort to go sit down at a local resteraunt and have a glass of wine/beer and a plate of food. Don't misunderstand this as if I don't totally enjoy this and look forward to it but it adds up in the bankroll and my waist.

I made a yummy pot of split pea soup to start off the week, which fed us for a couple of days and I am happy to say that I polished off every green smudgen of this wonderful dish. I knew that I loved split pea soup, but I didn't know I would go so far as to licking most of the dishes clean and still wanting more.

In typical fashion I went overboard when I decided to make crepes for the oncle monthly ladies night. I made crepes and the gals all brought a filling which included mushrooms, spinach, ricotta cheese, a creamy mixture of chicken and asperagus, and for dessert we swooned over fresh fruit chocolate and whipped cream.

I came home inspired by the novelity of crepes and made a couple more batches to share with coworkers at a staff meeting. For this I prefilled crepes with a mixture of equal parts cream cheese and cottage cheese, a dash of sugar, vanilla and salt that was whipped up in a food processor. The next morning as I started the day at the crack of dawn I popped these in the oven to warm up and totted them to work with a jar of fruit preserves to garnish the top.

J went climbing in Squamish on Friday, what a great way to bring in Spring and take advantage of this great weather in early March. Knowing that they got stuck in hanous traffic on a Friday afternoon in Vancouver only to get to the border and wait a few more HOURS without dinner and I had gone on a bike ride, we were in need of some animal protien. I rarely cook meat, I leave it up to J and the bbq, but I can handle cooking meat in the crock pot so in the early afternoon I put a pork roast in the crockpot with bay leaves, garlic and red wine. In a couple hours it comes out anf just falls apart at the sight of a fork. Perfect! I took the pork and the savory broth that was produced in the crockpot and miced it with chopped onion, cabbage, soy sauce, and sesame oil, fried it in a cast iron skillet and then added some udon noodles. Perfect dinner and tasty leftovers.

To top off this week of eating in, we (including me!) made hamburgers! I can't remeber the last time that I ate a hamburger so needles to say it tasted increadible. Saturady was a perfect day in Bellingham, a perfect day to sit on a patio. We brainstormed the resteraunts in Bellingham to go sit on a patio and then realized why we spent thousands of dollars on our desck, there is no place in Bellingham to sit on a patio and have a bite, it was an unanimous decision that we had to cook on the grill and enjoy our deck. By the time that dinner was done, it was to chilly to eat on the deck so we watched the sunset in the comfort of our house through the windows. Back to the burgers and the red meat uphoria.... covered in blue cheese, avacado, lettuce and tomatoe smooshed between an english muffin. Ahhh.... summer here we come!

There I did it, no eating out all week which lead to a happy bank account and a new toy!!

Adapted from The Joy of Cooking



  1. Pour the batter into a pitcher or other container with a pouring lip.

  2. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 30 minutes or in refrigerate for up to 2 days. (This allows the flour to thoroughly absorb the liquid and gives the gluten in the flour a chance to relax.).

  3. Place a nonstick or seasoned crepe pan over medium heat. Coat the pan with a little unsalted butter.

  4. Stir the batter and pour about 2 tablespoons into the pan, lifting the pan off the heat and tilting and rotating it so that the batter forms an even, very thin layer. Cook until the top is set and the underside is golden. Turn the crepe over, using a spatula or your fingers (fingers work best here) and cook until the second side is lightly browned. Remove the crepe to a piece of wax paper. Continue cooking the rest of the crepes, buttering the pan and stirring the batter before starting each one.

  5. Stack the finished crepes between sheets of wax paper.

  6. Use immediately or let cool, wrap airtight and freeze for up to 1 month.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I m going to try this during this week end. Spent lot of time on ur blog and looking forward to come back.
    Nina @



There was an error in this gadget