Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Greened Corn



Change has been good for me. I must admit that it has also been just as challenging. In order to succeed at this new step, not drive my man nuts or throw the animals off the balcony I have decided make some goals and use what extra time I have to take care of projects that I have been longing to have time for.

Today is a simple goal: make sure we eat well.

I am saying good bye to meat raised on big farms, produce from far away countries, and "fast food." Since I do have the time and energy to explore providing healthy and intentional food - I best be following through! We do live in a very bountiful area and the harvest season is only now winding down.

I have found a great online resource for local information for the Tri Cities area including farm stands, local markets and general community. Today, I plan on hitting a couple farm stands, meeting new people, and gathering some late season items such as eggplant, peppers and a squash or two.

As you may know, J is not a picky eater and will eat almost anything that is laden with spinach. Here is my best attempt to take my love for creamed corn to the next level and have help eating it.
Greened corn.... enjoy!






Greened Corn

I served this along side some spicy enchiladas but next time I envision eating over toast or with a fried egg.

Ingredients

  • 2 cups kenneled corn
  • 1 cup chopped spinach
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

  1. In a skillet over medium heat, combine the corn, cream, salt, sugar, pepper and butter.
  2. Whisk together the milk and flour, and stir into the corn mixture.
  3. Cook stirring over medium heat until the mixture is thickened, and corn is cooked through.
  4. Add chopped spinach. Continue stirring until the spinach is just slightly wilted and warm.
  5. Remove from heat, and stir in the Parmesan cheese until melted. Serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like it would be delicious over a fried egg! I hope that you are enjoying the Tri-cities. I always had fun driving through there when my family spent time in Eastern Washington. You should be able to make and find some killer Mexican food!

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS.....