Monday, January 10, 2011

On love & Meyer Lemon Bars

Its cool.

 

We can fall in love. 

 

I will not tell.

Its the season, actually, its always the season in my book. That is just how I roll.

 

Love has that timeless style going for it.

 

Love has a style that never fades.

 

The bright and sunny style of Meyer lemons never ceases to win my heart. Whomp, my entire fluttering heart hits the floor with an enthusiastic thump with the simple zest of these rays of sunshine in the middle of a cold winter here in the desert. 

 

It might also be the shortbread that is making my heart pitter patter.

 

Buttery shortbread smothered in lip smacking, face puckering Meyer lemon custard. 

 

I know that everything is going to be okay. 


Yeah, you can call it love. 

 

Rays of golden love pouring into my life and aiming for my thighs and my love handles, that's where I keep it stored. 

 

Butter, lemons, flour. We are in love. 

 

My thighs can prove it.

 Go ahead. Fall in love.

Don't worry, my pants don't fit either. Blame it on love.

Meyer Lemon Bars

I came across this recipe in The Joy of Cooking. I substituted Meyer lemons for the traditional variety. I also added a bit more flour which creates a sturdier custard.

(makes 16+ servings)


Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs (room temperature)
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup Meyer lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated Meyer lemon zest
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
confectioners sugar

Directions:
1. Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl.
2. Mix in the flour and salt until it comes together.
3. Press it down into a greased 8 inch square baking pan.
4. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
5. Beat the eggs and sugar until smooth.
6. Mix in the lemon juice and zest.
7. Mix in the flour.
8. Pour the mixture onto the crust.
9. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until set, about 20 minutes.
10. Let cool and sprinkle with confectioners sugar.

Meyer Lemon Bars

1 comment:

  1. OK, I am on the hunt for yummy organic lemons. I think I have a friend that actually has a lemon tree growing inside her house way up here in the mountains hanging out around and above tree-line. I bet if I share this recipe with her, then she will strongly consider supplying the lemons...

    M, I told dad one time that I had a dilemma. Without missing he beat, he simply told me to make-a-dilemmanade. Nuff said.

    I love lemons, and I LOVE YOU! CBS

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS.....