Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Lets talk!

 Hola! Como esta? Bien! Bien!


I woke up this morning with great hopes that the snow would be gone. Nope! DOH! It has been ages! I was under the impression that there is good weather here. Mucky slush for weeks does not count.


I prefer not to be out in these conditions and honestly I have no need to go anywhere. I have been getting to know our kitchen and exploring new cooking techniques, cooking through the pantry and trying to eat in as much as we can. Yet, as much as I love to bounce around a kitchen, I need some company.

I thought this would be a great time to get to know each other a bit better.


Copy and paste this brief questionnaire in the comment section with your own answers or post it yourself on your blog and leave a link for me in the comment section.


I truly look forward to your comments!


Thanks Lottie + Doof for the idea!




Sweet or salty?

Salty. Salt. Salt. Salt. Then, I usually crave something sweet, usually an apple. Totally predictable.


Chocolate or vanilla?

Chocolate. Dark chocolate to be exact.

Hot or mild?

Hot.

What won’t you eat?

Organ meat. Ribs. Grissel. Yeah, meat has always kind of grossed me out.

Most memorable meal?

While in college, a girlfriend and I went to Mt. Baker and I was going to learn to snowboard. I tried. We were, like many college kids, very broke. We skipped any sort of food offered at the mountain, hungry we drove the hour + it takes to get down from the mountain. My Grandma lived on the way home, I had to stop in. We open the door to the most amazing smell, the richest and most satisfying smell of a roast with veggies in the oven. She invites us in. We sit. The next thing we know there are plates covered in piping hot veggies, mash potatoes and gravy with a slice of roast squeezed in between. She was the only one home and had no idea she would have company. She was an amazing cook. We probably had pie for dessert. That is how she was.


Favorite object in your kitchen?

My cast iron skillet.

What are you scared of in the kitchen?

Dull knives. I also have being a spaz with sharp knives.

Do you prefer to cook alone or with others?

I really enjoy cooking with my husband. He knows exactly what I like.

What country would you move to for the food?


I am not sure yet. I still have a lot of traveling and reading to do before I can even narrow down my selection.

If you were to come back as a fruit or vegetable, what would you be?

Grapes! They are such prestigious vines with an incredible versatile fruit. I like warm moderate climates as well.


What’s for dinner?

Black eyed peas and kale in beef broth.


YOUR TURN!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Sweet or salty?

    Salty. I'd take a good tortilla chip over anything sweet. I also like the combo of the two - nothing beats a good salted chocolate caramel

    Chocolate or vanilla?

    Both - really can't choose

    Hot or mild?

    Hot.

    What won’t you eat?

    Totally agree with you on any organ meat. I once was dared to eat sweet breads (glands anyone?) and wouldn't. Also beets. I love every other vegetable to death but somehow the sweetness of beets makes me gag.

    Most memorable meal?

    Cafe Roka in Bisbee Arizona. Something about eating good food after backpacking in the high desert makes it stand out in my mind. Loved the little scoops of vodka infused lemon sorbet between courses!


    Favorite object in your kitchen?

    The good olive oil I order from Modesto. Does that count?

    What are you scared of in the kitchen?
    My dog. He has an amazing nose and can reach ANYTHING. Still learning that I have to close the door if we are not in there.

    Do you prefer to cook alone or with others?

    Both

    What country would you move to for the food?

    France. Provence to be exact. That fabulous mediterranean diet. Fresh veggies, good bread, good meat, good wine from a sun-soaked climate sounds good to me.

    If you were to come back as a fruit or vegetable, what would you be?

    Garlic


    What’s for dinner?

    Salmon, mushroom and barley casserole, brussel sprouts. Brussel sprouts used to gross me out but if you shred them and saute quickly with olive oil, garlic, and shallots, they are devine.

    Love your blog Michelle!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah! Great to hear from you!
    I am glad I am not the only person that thinks tortilla chips are the ultimate snack, um, even a meal now and again.... Dark chocolate covered pretzels..... need I say more?
    Thanks for following, it truly means so much!!
    Happy happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here goes....
    Sweet or salty?
    Oh, I have such a sweet tooth! Then water, a few nuts, and then the chocolate... again.

    Chocolate or vanilla?
    Totally agree - bring on the dark chocolate!

    Hot or mild?
    I've moved from mild to medium over the past 15 years... but not quite to hot.

    What won’t you eat?
    Yep, agreed about the organ meat. Though I could tell you a story about a sheep liver sometime...

    Most memorable meal?
    Ratatouille at the Willows on Lummi Island in maybe 95? Made by Victoria Flynn. Not for customers, but for the workers. It was amazing how the UPS man always managed to deliver packages at lunch time. All were welcome. What an amazing cook you are Victoria! I was vegetarian at the time, and she always went out of her way to make the most delicious lunches for her gardener!

    Favorite object in your kitchen?
    Cast enamel dutch oven - I love it especially for baking bread in.

    What are you scared of in the kitchen?
    My kids. I'm always tripping over them or making something that causes an involuntary gag reflex in them!

    Do you prefer to cook alone or with others?
    With others. Watching, preferably! (being a grunt worker is okay too)

    What country would you move to for the food?
    Don't think I'd move there, but I really love middle eastern food. I grew up eating tabouli & kibbeh & love it - pinenuts, chickpeas, bulgar, parsley, tomatoes, yum!

    If you were to come back as a fruit or vegetable, what would you be?
    pomegranate - I just think they are so exquisite looking

    What’s for dinner?
    We had grilled steak w/mashed potatoes & green beans :)

    Wow Michelle - all your recipes are inspiring me! As are your words... thanks for sharing yourself. Miss you here.

    -Samya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Samya!
    I just bought a cast iron dutch oven. So far I love braising meat in it. The next goal is the lovely no knead bread.
    I have been cracking open pomegranates on a regular basis lately. I like them because I have to slow down to eat them....
    AND... I thought of you the other day.... I have some left over heavy cream from a caramel recipe... I really want to make some mash potatoes and spike it with heavy cream. Dreamy!Your potatoes were very memorable!
    I miss you too! And your boys!

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS.....