Sunday, December 05, 2010

Salted Butter Carmels - gift giving


My parents were crafty growing up. From stained glass, wood working, cabinetry, sewing, crafts, jewelery making - they tried a lot of different things. We spent a considerable amount of time at craft shows.

My Grandma was the ultimate crafter. I did a new project every time I visited.

Grandma watched a lot of Martha.

Grandma had two rooms in her house devoted to crafts. I love this woman and miss her even more.

Her birthday is/was Christmas day.This time of year my thoughts are filled with warm memories of our time together. I believe she is smiling down on me today, in the kitchen and in my art room.

The holidays, especially this year, with some serious free time on my hands (which I am ever so grateful for), I get inspired and want to make homemade gifts for my friends and family. I am on a mission to figure out a few gifts that are shippable to my great, wonderful, beautiful, dear friends on the west side of the Cascades.

I just received a package in the mail from my dear friend B. Packages are the best - absolutely the biggest smile possible when getting the mail.

As you probably are aware I love to bake but I am fascinated by candy making. The possibilities are endless and the mistakes are grand messes but a successful attempt returns a great feeling of satisfaction.

Carmel. Salted butter carmels.

I have to try it.

This is the first addition to the gift boxes that are to be shipped off this week. 





Have you dove into candy making? What have you made? If not, what better time than now to try something new.

Challenge is GREAT!

I followed David Lebovitz's Salted Butter Carmels. It was spot on with lots of tips and hints. I would use it again.

I also looked through these for more advice:

101 Cookbooks

Zoe Bakes

Smitten Kitchen



Happy Holidays Everyone! Keep it light, happy and fun!

1 comment:

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS.....